So we needed to make a quantifiable movement and behaviour chart for our new project, Floob, The Jelly Cube. We weren’t sure where to begin, so we started with a few basic numbers that we based off an arbitrary ‘unit’. We took into consideration how we wanted to use the different scale of the player character to behave differently to encourage the different sizes at the needed times. So we set some walking speeds, jump heights and other things that we could then use later to scale the level appropriately. Since we’re creating a virtual space we don’t need to base our measurement system of anything particular. After beginning to record these numbers in a google doc, we realised that we’d probably want to easily manipulate these values. So we shoved them into a google sheets document, which allowed us to make much more interesting relations between the scale of the cube and the other functions. We used curved relations between the number of cubes and each mechanic that we believed would need this different relationship. Here’s an image of the chart we used:
A few lines I can pick out and explain the decision process behind quickly would be the fall for max/no split lines and the wall sliding line. For the fall for splitting, we took into consideration the max jump height, mostly because we did not want our player to jump and then fall apart. However, since that was our starting point, we also took the jump height and doubled it to create our complete split height. This was so that we could make the player completely split when they jump to their highest ledge and then jump their highest off that edge. However, due to the non-destructive nature of this mechanic, these numbers really just give us a base to begin from, since there isn’t and dire punishments involved with falling. The wall sliding was made in this way so that it would take into consideration both the mass of the jelly cube and the surface area touching the edge. This created a curve that would increase with speed as the cube got heavier, but would flatten out as the surface area of the cube also grew. While the chart is currently ‘done’, we still plan to, and will inevitably have to, update the values as the player controller is developed.