Mum always told me to make my bed

I made a bed. Well, not a real bed. A virtual bed. Not a very comfortable virtual bed either, I made a lowpoly virtual bed. This bed

15135639_631446203693961_345838086_n

But how did I make it? Well that’s the interesting part. I began with Blender, which for a beginner was extremely daunting. I had decided to begin with some tutorials that would teach me the basics for forming shapes and how to form the model I am aiming for. I discovered it functioned very similarly to the way that ProBuilder(the unity plugin that I’ve been using to make levels in other projects) works. So I decided to ditch the extremely tedious tutorials and forge forwards until I ran into a problem rather than sit and slowly melt my brains with tutorials. Beginning with a a large rectangular prism to act as the base of the bed, I then took a segment of that and extruded it to make the mattress that sits on the base. After getting that looking nice and sized to fit a mattress, I put the bed ends onto the base and the legs to make it look more, bed like. So the bed was starting to look like a bed, that’s good. But it needed to be more bed-y. So I added the blanket! Now, in other lowpoly beds I’ve seen, the blanket is perfectly smooth and has no blanket-y crinkles in it. So I decided to try and add some imperfections to the surface of the blanket. To do this I used the bisect tool, applying a smooth subdivide and then adjusting some corners to fix any excessive points. With almost all of the bed modeled, I needed to add pillows. But how did I do that? Well, I made a cylinder, squashed it a little to make a somewhat pillow shape, simplified some of the faces so that it would be more lowpoly than it was. I then bisected it twice across the centre and bisected the top and bottom into 6ths. With some more smooth subdividing and adjusting points, I had a pillow. I duplicated it and put them on the bed and voila, I had a bed. But it was all grey, yuck. So now came the tricky part, how was I going to colour the faces and more specifically how was I going to paint the surfaces without colour bleeding. Well the surfaces could easily be coloured with the vertex painter in built into blender, but that made the colours bleed into each other. So I had to create vertex groups and put a mask on them to make certain parts of the model invisible while I painted the rest, kinda like how you put tape on the lights and windows when painting a car.  So I had the model ready and painted, but it wasn’t in unity yet. I had no idea that this part would be such a hurdle to get over. Initially I thought it’d just be a simple export to get the textures and the model into unity, but NO, it had to be difficult. So I spent far too much time searching through numerous blender tutorials for countless different versions of blender to try and get the texturing into unity. In the end it turned out that I needed to create a smart uv map of the model and place the colouring onto that, then tack that image into unity on a certain rotation and apply it to a material that is on the bed. Which took way too much time to figure out. But, I did manage to do it:

captureTA-DA!

I do hope to make more models in the future, but this was definitely an interesting introduction into the complex world.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s