Testing the Floob Cube

Playtesting could have gone much better than it did, but in comparison to the last lot of playtesting it went spectacularly. This is because this time, we actually had a game to be able to test, last time our player controller was still a mess and wasn’t doing one particular thing we wanted it to do. But this time around we had a game ready and had people actually come and play it (Radical, I know). With this new play we found some key issues with the critical path of our game and discovered that we would have to make many changes in an attempt to correct this. The first and foremost issue with the game was the camera, people just didn’t like that they couldn’t move it themselves. This showed that we had designed the level and presented it in a way that made the player want this, since in previous demonstrations when people watched the game being played they did not think this. We could do two things to fix this issue, the first being to rebuild the camera controller so that the player can move the camera around and look where they want to. This solution would take more toll on the programming side of the project which may be too busy with other things at this current moment considering the state the player controller has been in during the entire development. The other thing we could change is to have the level present itself in a way that doesn’t make the player want to move the camera. Much easier said than done of course, since it would require many hours of playtesting to determine what is the right way to present the level. It probably would begin with the fact you begin facing a wall and are meant to jump towards the camera. After that the player is meant to fall onto another platform that would require the player to jump up and over a wall to get into the main aisle. This meant that the player would have to move toward the camera twice to begin the game, while not even knowing the level was set in a supermarket aisle, that is not good. This could be fixed by removing the part that forces the camera to face the wall at the beginning of the game and instead have the player begin with a custom angle facing the centre of the aisle from the shelf. The next key piece of feedback was that the quick fixes to the wall jumping we put in was not good because our player controller was too difficult to get up them. This is actually good for us, because it means our player controller is moving how we want it to, a little bit too difficult to do anything refined. So once we get the wall jumping working we should be able to remove those quick fixes and have a player controller that meets our desires. Another issue was that the level did not require the player to take the desired path or do anything that we wanted them to do. So we need to do two things to fix this problem, firstly we need to improve the walls in our level so that they take the path we want them to instead of them just rolling straight to the end. The second thing we need to do is make the desired path much more favourable and interesting, we can do this quickly by adding some lights to encourage the player. There could also be more colour and detail in the desired player path. These were the main things that I found from our playtesting feedback, but I’m sure there is plenty more to learn and much more to learn in future tests.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s